The Energy Information Administration reports that gas prices nationally increased $0.041 during the week after Christmas. The national average for all formulations of regular gasoline was $3.298 compared to only $3.257 the week prior. The cost of diesel fuel was $3.918, slightly below the $3.923 it was a week ago.
Regular gas is almost exactly flat year over year, while diesel fuel is up $0.135.
Gas prices increased in all regions except for the Rocky Mountain area last week:
- East Coast: Increased $0.048 to $3.403.
- Midwest: Increased $0.048 to $3.221.
- Gulf Coast: Increased $0.053 to $3.107.
- Rocky Mountain: Decreased $0.080 to $3.016.
- West Coast: Increased $0.030 to $3.457.
The longer term view: