The U.S. Energy Information Administration reported that the average price per gallon of all formulations of regular gasoline was $3.615 per gallon in May. This is nearly 12 cents down from the national average of $3.570 per gallon in April.
Diesel fuel was $3.870 per gallon in May from $3.930 in April.
Prices per gallon of regular gas decreased in May in 2 of the 5 U.S. regions:
- East Coast: $3.482 from $3.537 last month.
- Midwest: $3.733 from $3.541 last month.
- Gulf Coast: $3.355 from $3.379 last month.
- Rocky Mountain: $3.612 from $3.500 last month.
- West Coast: $3.909 from $3.879 last month.
From a year ago, gas prices have decreased significantly in every region except for the Midwest, where the price per gallon is up almost 9 cents.
Full table with changes: