Recap of the past week’s U.S. economic releases:
- New home sales sunk 13.4% in July to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of only 394k. That rate is 6.8% higher than the same month a year ago.
- The Chicago Fed National Activity Index was a reading of -0.15 in July. That is up slightly from June but is still below its historical trend.
- The FHFA house price index was up 7.7% year over year in June.
- The Kansas City Fed manufacturing survey was a reading of +8 in August, indicating expansion at a faster rate than in July.
- The unemployment rate was up in 9 states year over year in July.
- Initial jobless claims for the week increased slightly to 336k but remain low. The insured unemployment rate was unchanged from the week prior at 2.3%.
- Both weekly store sales indexes were unchanged from their week-ago readings of up 2.4% Y/Y (4 week MA) and up 3.4% Y/Y (4 week MA).
The U.S. economic schedule for the week ahead:
Monday, August 26, 2013
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
- Consumer Confidence – Last 80.3.
- S&P Case-Shiller House Price Index – Last up 12.4% Y/Y.
- Richmond Fed Manufacturing Survey – Last -11.
- Weekly Store Sales
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Thursday, August 29, 2013
- Gross Domestic Product – Last SAAR +1.68%.
- Weekly Initial Jobless Claims
Friday, August 30, 2013