The average price per gallon for all formulations of regular gasoline was $3.608 per gallon in August, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reports. That is about a 2 cent decrease from July prices, and down about 11 cents from a year ago.
Diesel fuel was $3.981 per gallon in August from $3.909 last month.
Prices per gallon of regular gas decreased in all U.S. regions in August except for the Midwest:
- East Coast: $3.606 from $3.628 last month.
- Midwest: $3.633 from $3.589 last month.
- Gulf Coast: $3.406 from $3.446 last month.
- Rocky Mountain: $3.626 from $3.638 last month.
- West Coast: $3.750 from $3.887 last month.
From a year ago, gas prices have increased only in the Rocky Mountain region and have decreased the most on the West Coast.
Full table with changes: