The average price per gallon for all formulations of regular gasoline was $3.28 during the month of December, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reports. That is a 4 cent increase from November prices, but is down about 3 cents from a year ago.
Diesel fuel was $3.88 per gallon in December from $3.84 last month.
Prices per gallon of regular gas in U.S. regions in December:
- East Coast: $3.39 from $3.30 last month.
- Midwest: $3.15 from $3.15 last month.
- Gulf Coast: $3.09 from $3.04 last month.
- Rocky Mountain: $3.08 from $3.22 last month.
- West Coast: $3.49 from $3.50 last month.
From a year ago, gas prices are down in all regions and have decreased the most in the Rocky Mountain region.